Two accused nabbed, big fish still out of net

Posted On
By :

Two accused nabbed, big fish still out of net
The Amritsar police today arrested two men linked to the suicide case of cable operator Jaswinder Singh Jassi who consumed some poisonous substance in front of Supreme Court and Punjab and Haryana High Court judges on March 28. Prime accused Sarabjit Singh Raju is still out of the police net.

Those arrested are Pritpal Singh Lalli, husband of a SAD councillor, and Gurwinder Singh Babbi. While Lalli’s name had figured in Jassi’s suicide, Babbi’s role came up in the complaint filed by Balbir Kaur, wife of the deceased.
Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (ADCP) HS Brar said the two were nabbed from the Amritsar-Jalandhar GT Road around 10.30 am as soon as they alighted from their vehicle at a dhaba located near the Baba Bakala crossing.
Eight police teams are on a look out for Raju and conducting raids in and outside Punjab.
When asked why Fastway Cable MD Gurdeep Singh hasn’t been questioned though his name figured in the suicide note, Brar said their primary focus was to arrest Lalli, Babbi and Raju. “As soon as Raju is arrested, we would investigate the role of Gurdeep also,” said Brar. The ADCP said being locals, the accused had a direct link with Jassi, a prime witness in the Siti Cable sex scandal.

However, Gurdeep lived in Ludhiana and, therefore, his role needed to be verified, he added.
The police officer denied any political pressure on them for not arresting Gurdeep. Raju had skipped the hearing in the CBI court in Patiala on Wednesday.

Issuing summons against him, the court asked him to appear before it on May 5. Sarabjit Singh Verka of the Punjab Human Rights Organisation, an NGO, which filed the complaint in the scandal in 2003, urged the court to cancel his bail and issue warrants against him as he was booked by the police in the abatement to suicide case.
Babbi pleaded innocence stating that his name was not mentioned in the suicide note.

Jaswinder Singh Jassi, the prime witness in the sex scandal, had consumed some poisonous substance before the judges who are members of Telecom Dispute Settlement Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) here on March 28 and he breathed his last on March 30.

About the Author
We bring you crime news from all parts of India.

Leave a Reply